Tuesday, June 26

A flutter of pages at midnight

I stumbled across a recent article about reading habits a few days ago, but it's subject and contents never made it particularly far into my thoughts until this calm and silent morning.

So, the question is... are you an afternoon reader?
The kind that likes to laze in the sun, basking in the midday glow, cross-legged with a novel resting on one hand and a cool lemonade in the other?

Or perhaps you prefer reading at night; before bed you like to sprinkle your imagination with material for your dreams to feed upon.
A solitary bedside lamp lights your cosy page turning beneath the covers.

Not only were times of the day taken into account in this short article, but also the effect of weather.

There's always a comfortable feeling you get from reading during a downpour.
It's almost as if the curtain of water outside personally invited you to escape the grey skies and immerse yourself into another pocket of reality, enticing and alluring you with it's promise of hiding your truancy from the world with the sound of raindrops pattering against the glass.

Do you enjoy reading in cafes?
A cup of coffee at your side, and the murmer of people being drowned out by the potent concoction created through the convergence of printed text met with imagination.

How about reading on the way to school, or work?
There are always people who work towards making their journeys seem shorter by pulling out a magazine or newspaper and flicking through it's pages on the bus.
But then there are those who make their journey infinitely longer, delving deep into fantasy lands, only to awaken finding their distant minds accompanied by their bodies, coming into realisation they're a few bus stops too far.

Myself, I've fallen into a mildy surprising realisation that I best enjoy reading first thing in the morning, settling down in a comfortable low chair by a window after an early breakfast as the early light streams in, and not until the sun has risen to it's zenith do I close the window to the other world and wake up for a second time.
Unfortunately I'm usually in bed for most of that aforementioned period, but let's not talk about that.

I get irritable when I read at night, probably because my subconscious and my bed seem to have formed a pact against me and productivity in general.

So. How about you?

Disclaimer: As you can prolly tell from my choice of speech I was adding to my book earlier, so I'm still lingering in my authoring mode. Sue me.

1 comment:

msquyenho said...

I could read at any time and everywhere. I actually went through a phase where I brought a book whereever I went, including some parties. But no, i'm no longer that sad.

btw very poetic! looking forward to reading your epic