Wednesday, April 18

Sola - Initial Review


Episodes watched: 3 out of ?

As you can imagine, Sola has left quite an impression on me as I'm devoting a whole post to it so soon.
Not sure which genre to go for, the producers must have decided to toss a bit of everything into it. Scenes ranging from romance, comedy and drama to action should buy at least a little attention from potential viewers.

Sola's plotline follows Yorito, a small-town student who is known best by his friends and classmates for devoting most his time (perhaps too much) to taking photos of the sky. His obsession leads him into a strange encounter with a girl during the early hours of the morning while he was trying to capture a shot of the sunrise.
This would not be the last time they meet however, and the next night he learns her name is Matsuri and that she has a peculiar taste for tomato soup.
Things then take a sudden turn for the worse though, as several nights later he catches Matsuri at an old church, only to find her being attacked by a man wielding a sword and using light as a weapon. At this point I guess it became apparent to Yorito that Matsuri was no ordinary girl, and not just because she has a tendency to attack vending machines.

This sets the premise for a somewhat worn out storyline involving vampires and the such (mm tomato juice), but despite that I personally think that the series is well done enough for it to be worth taking a look at.
I feel the general dreamy atmosphere given off in each episode is great, and I find myself already fond of the characters introduced so far.
There's something about the underlying theme and plot which reminds me of Tsukihime, which is always a good thing. That and Matsuri rocks.
This is one series I'll be definitely be keeping an eye on this season.

Initial Rating: 9/10

As a side note, the short intro at the beginning of the first episode reminded me a lot of my random endeavours in Japan.

Edit:
Just what the heck is this sign supposed to mean?

No comments: